Nostalgic Novel of Japanese expat children (1) An Imagined Homeland
“Ema,
that’s not right. Put your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Again.”
Mum’s sharp
voice rang through the living room.
Me and my
little sisters were all born and grew up in Tokyo, under Japanese parents.
It was 1977.
From the age of seven, we had English lessons at home every single day.
My sister
was four, and the youngest was only one year old.
Mum was our
English teacher, and she was tough. She showed no mercy, even with my sisters.
Mum had
spent large part of her childhood in America.
She often
told us about those days.
Wide roads.
Big houses. Kind teachers. A sense of freedom.
And she
always ended with the same words.
“America
is our homeland. One day, we’re going back. If you can’t speak proper English,
people will think you’re a foreigner and look down on you.”
I was too
young to understand what “look down on” really meant.
But the
word left me with the impression that it was something frightening.
Dad also
grew up in America since he was a small boy. He came back to Japan for college,
is now working for the Japanese branch of an American company.
“One
day, we’re all going back to America.”
Dad and Mum
kept saying that.
Going
back.
It was a
country neither of them had ever lived in as adults, and yet they always called
it “going back.”
Little by
little, English became the language we used more and more at home.
My sisters
adapted especially quickly.
Whenever
they were together, they spoke English.
I loved
reading English books. I devoured Grimm’s Fairy Tales, The Wonderful Wizard
of Oz, and The Book of Three. I read almost every fantasy book in
the elementary school library.
But even I,
who loved reading, could never bring myself to enjoy Mum’s lessons.
Whenever a
Japanese accent crept into my speech, her expression would darken.
“That
pronunciation won’t do. Speak like an American.”
She
repeated those words every day, like some kind of spell.
Then, in
the spring of 1984, when I was thirteen, the day finally came.
“Girls,
we’re finally going back to America !”
Dad
announced it with a huge smile.
My sisters
cheered.
I was
happy, too.
The
“return” I had been hearing about ever since I was little was finally
happening.
Mum brought
out a large cardboard box.
“Put
in only the things you wanna take to America. We’ll get rid of the rest.”
I filled it
with books.
My
favourite novels.
Video tapes
of movies I had recorded.
I could
always buy clothes once we got there.
Surely
America would have so many more wonderful things.
At least,
that was what I believed.
June
1984.
We flew to
Los Angeles on United Airlines.
My sisters
were bouncing around the cabin and kept getting told off by the flight
attendant.
“The
movie’s going to start soon. Why don’t you sit down and watch it?”
Her voice
was gentle.
These 10
and 7 year olds finally sat down, excited with the movie.
I stared
absently at the movie playing on the screen, occasionally looking out the
window.
We were
flying over the Pacific.
On the
other side was our “homeland.”
Our
“homeland” that I had never seen.
The moment
we stepped off the plane at Los Angeles International Airport, the heat clung
to my skin.
It was
hotter than Japan, yet the air felt dry and light.
Above us
stretched an endless, brilliant blue sky.
“Welcome
to Los Angeles.”
At the
airport employee’s words, my heart began to race.
This is
America.
This is
where we belong.
Dad had
flown over ahead of us, and he was there to meet us at the airport.
As we drove
through the neighborhoods, I couldn't take my eyes off the view outside my
window.
The wide
streets.
The tall
palm trees.
The giant
billboards.
It looked
just like the movies.
The house
Dad had rented was bigger than anything I'd ever imagined back in Japan.
White
walls.
An
orange-tile roof.
A living
room with a soaring ceiling.
There was
even a swimming pool in the backyard.
My little
sisters squealed and ran toward the pool.
"You
can jump in later," Dad said with a grin.
Upstairs,
each of us had our own bedroom.
Our names
were written on the doors.
EMA
It was my
name...
But
somehow, seeing it in English made me feel like I was becoming somebody else.
That night
we had dinner around an enormous pizza.
Dad
laughed.
"Can't
have my American girls turning down pizza."
Mom was
smiling, too.
"From
now on, we're all gonna live like real Americans."
As I
listened to them, I sank into the huge couch.
Sleep
washed over me.
Maybe it
was the long flight.
I don't
even remember how I made it upstairs that night.
The next
day, the English lessons started all over again.
Mom and Dad
were making a point of speaking less and less Japanese at home.
Everything
was becoming American.
The food.
The TV.
The way we
lived.
That
afternoon they took us to Little Tokyo.
Dad looked
around and said,
"We'll
come here whenever we're craving Japanese food."
Then he
smiled.
"But
let's get used to American food as fast as we can."
As we
walked down the streets lined with Japanese signs, I was overcome by a strange
feeling.
We had only
just arrived from Japan, yet somehow I was already looking at Japan from the
outside.
That
summer, Mom and Dad enrolled us in a language school.
There were
kids from all over the world.
My little
sister wasn't impressed.
"The
other kids all talk funny. I wanna learn real American English."
So Dad
found us a private tutor instead.
She was a
woman in her twenties from California.
"My
parents were immigrants," she said with a gentle smile. "But we only
spoke English at home."
Then she
looked at us.
"Your
accent really matters. We'll work on that together, okay?"
Intonation.
The way we
used our voices.
I wanted
more than anything to sound like the kids who had grown up in California.
By July,
American flags were everywhere.
It was the
Fourth of July.
Dad spent
the afternoon grilling enough burgers and hot dogs to feed an army, while Mom
went over the words to The Star-Spangled Banner with us one more time.
"When
they play the national anthem," she reminded us, "put your right hand
over your heart."
The
neighbors couldn't have been friendlier.
Everyone
was laughing by the pool, drinking beer, swapping stories across the yard.
Kids ran
around waving Stars and Stripes flags.
When the
anthem started, everybody sang.
I sang
along, too.
For some
reason, I felt like if I didn't, I'd be the only one who didn't belong.
By the time
summer was over, we'd gotten pretty comfortable with the way people talked
around us.
My little
sisters had started playing with the neighborhood kids, and before long they
were speaking even more English at home than they had back in Japan.
"Guess
teaching 'em English before we left Japan paid off," Dad said.
Mom nodded,
but she wasn't smiling.
"This
is the important part."
Dad looked
at her.
"They've
gotta fit in. They've gotta grow up as Americans."
"What
about Japanese culture?"
She thought
about it for a second.
"I
don't think that's what they need right now. First things first. They need to
feel like they belong here."
I sat
quietly, listening to every word.
September
came, and school started.
For the
first time in my life, I climbed aboard one of those big yellow school buses.
It was
exactly like the movies.
"You
must be the new kid. Welcome to Los Angeles."
The driver,
a cheerful man in his forties, flashed me a smile.
For some
reason, hearing him say that made me feel proud.
There were
kids from all kinds of backgrounds on the school bus.
Korean.
Mexican.
Japanese.
Somewhere I
couldn't recognize.
Almost
everybody had a little bit of an accent.
At the same
time, it seemed like everybody was trying their hardest to sound as American as
they could.
I became
friends with two Korean-American sisters, Eun-young and Min-young.
Their
family had immigrated when they were little.
"You
know what really matters?" Eun-young said, completely serious.
"Your
accent. If you sound weird, kids'll make fun of you."
Her words
sounded an awful lot like Mom's.
Later, In
the school office, the three of us took an English placement test.
The teacher
looked a little surprised when she went over my results.
"You
hardly have an accent at all. And your scores are really good."
I was thrilled.
For the
first time, it felt like all those years of studying had finally paid off.
When I
found out I wouldn't have to take ESL, I felt a huge weight lift off my
shoulders.
For the
first time, I felt like I was getting closer to being a "regular
American."
When the
bus dropped us off after school, Mom was already waiting at the stop.
"I
figured I'd come meet you girls."
That's what
she said.
But
somehow, I had a feeling she just wanted to see the school bus herself.
After all,
she'd ridden one when she was a little girl.
Maybe
seeing it again brought back memories.
That day,
Mom told us about when she was a little girl.
It was the
first time she'd ever really told us about it in detail.
The 1950s.
How Grandpa
and Grandma had taken her to America, and how much fun she'd had there.
How she'd
forgotten most of her Japanese and started speaking English even at home.
How her
parents had always told her she needed to grow up to be a good American.
She'd
thought she'd live in America for the rest of her life.
But after
ten years, they had to go back to Japan.
"Japan
felt so confining," she said, as if she'd suddenly remembered something.
At the
time, I didn't quite understand what she'd found so confining.
"We've
finally made it back to America," Mom went on. "So let's all be happy
here together. This time, let's be good Americans and give something back to
this country."
Time passed
quickly.
Schoolwork
was anything but easy. In science and history, there seemed to be an endless
stream of words I had never heard before.
After
school, I would bombard my teachers with questions.
But English
was the one subject I truly loved.
Mark Twain.
Dickens.
Emily
Dickinson.
Reading
literature in English felt slightly more distant than reading it in Japanese.
But even
so, it had a fascination all its own—more than enough to make up for the
distance.
Around that
time, things in our home began to change, little by little.
Emi, the
youngest, finally stopped answering me in Japanese.
“Japanese
feels weird.”
From then
on, she spoke only English.
Whenever I
got a pronunciation wrong, Emi would correct me.
“Ema,
that sounds so Japanese.”
Every time
she said it with a laugh, I felt as though a piece of cold ice had pierced
straight through my heart.
Marie was
the same.
“Ema,
your English doesn't really sound American.”
Maybe they
didn't mean any harm.
But their
words hurt me, every single time.
Before
long, I found myself trying to get rid of the sound of my Japanese voice.
Japanese
and English sounded different—not just in the words, but in the very way the
voice resonated.
Japanese
seemed to fall forward, while English seemed to resonate deep in the chest.
The flat,
strong vowels of Japanese.
The deep,
resonant voice of an American, coming from the back of the throat.
I wanted to
sound even a little more Californian.
And so,
little by little, I began speaking even Japanese with an American accent.
The years
went by, and I was old enough to take the SAT, getting ready to apply to
college.
I wanted to
study English literature at UCLA.
I had never
once wavered from that dream.
And then,
suddenly, it happened.
Dad's
company decided to pull out of its business in Japan.
The
Japanese employees were going to be laid off.
Dad and the
others fought it as hard as they could. They hired lawyers. They protested.
They did everything they could.
But nothing
changed.
If Dad lost
his job, we'd lose our visas, too.
We wouldn't
be able to stay in America.
“I
don't wanna go back to Japan!”
My sisters
cried out in protest.
“We're
Americans!”
Mom stood
there silently, her head bowed.
Only Dad
smiled sadly.
“We
can always come back.”
But there
was no longer the same certainty in his voice.
The night
before we left, my friends threw me a pajama party.
When it was
time to say goodbye, everyone hugged me.
“Don't
forget us.”
“Let's
meet again.”
I nodded
through my tears.
Three
years.
Only three
years.
And yet
America was no longer a “foreign country” to me.
After we
returned to Japan, my sisters completely rejected Japanese.
Eventually,
both of them went to college in the States, found jobs there, and got married.
"We're
never going back to Japan."
They said
it almost in unison.
And I found
myself wondering: What had all those years of "going back to America"
really meant?
Had our
parents, in the end, raised us according to an ideal because they were trying
to reclaim the America they had lost?
Maybe that
was the America they'd been chasing all along.
Their dream
of “becoming American.”
An imagined
homeland.
I couldn’t
carry that dream on.
My two
sisters chose to carry it on willingly.
After we
returned to Japan, I went to visit Grandma at her house.
She showed
me a whole stack of old photographs.
There was
Little Tokyo, just as I remembered it.
Grandma in
a kimono.
Mom in
Western clothes.
Grandpa in
a suit.
Looking at
those old black-and-white photographs, I suddenly realized just how long ago it
had all been.
"Back
then, everybody wanted to go to America," Grandma said. "There'd been
a war, of course, but America was still the country so many people dreamed
about."
"Your
mother looked so happy there. She was a real American girl."
"She
was supposed to live there for good, but after ten years, we had to come back
to Japan."
"Why
did you come back?"
"Because
of your grandfather's work. Coming back to Japan was hard on your mother."
"Really?"
"She
didn't have any friends who were like her."
"Were
there really so few people who'd been to America?"
"Of
course there were. There wasn't a single one at your mother's school. We spoke
English at home, but once she stepped outside, she couldn't speak English
anymore. That was awfully confining for a child, don't you think?"
Another
photograph caught my eye.
It was an
old, faded photograph, its colors turned sepia with age.
A man in a
fine frock coat stood beside a woman in a kimono.
Next to
them was a little boy dressed in Western clothes.
"Who
are they?"
“Oh,
they’re relatives of mine—my cousins.”
"It's
such an old picture, but they're wearing Western clothes."
“They
were the ones who immigrated to Chicago… When I was young, they used to send me
photographs and little treats.”
"What
were their names?"
"Yoko-chan.
What was her last name again...? Tanabe, I think? Or was it Watanabe...? I
can't quite remember.
"And
the boy... I think his name was Toshiyuki. I heard he could only speak English
by then.”
The moment
I heard that name, I felt strangely unsettled.
Toshiyuki.
Could that
boy, too, have been someone who, like us, had “come back to Japan from
America”?
Even though
he had been told he would live there permanently.
After Dad
retired from the company, he and Mum went back to America once again.
They still
live in California.
They run a
small winery and are enjoying a quiet retirement.
The “return
to the homeland” they had longed for so desperately had, in the end, really
come true.
But
sometimes I wonder.
How can
just a few years of childhood experience change a person so profoundly?
Do the
words and dreams planted in us when we are children really never disappear,
even after we grow up?
Even now,
every once in a while, I catch myself speaking Japanese in a voice that sounds
almost American.

Comments
Post a Comment