Short Novel : A Japanese school on the seaside (Chapter 3)
1979 — Family and University Entrance
Exam Preparations
When I returned to the boarding school,
another move was waiting for me.
Third-year students were given single
rooms.
I left the four-bed room I'd been sharing
and moved into a single room for senior students in another wing of the
residence. The old desk had clearly seen years of use. Its surface was covered
with messages and doodles left behind by generations of former occupants.
I heard that two of my former roommates had
gone back to Japan.
For some reason, quite a number of students
seemed to have gone back to Japan after the spring holidays. By the time the
first term began, our year group had shrunk from twenty-eight students to just
fifteen.
Even a few of the friends I'd grown close
to had gone.
It felt as though little holes had been
left in my heart.
I missed them.
Our university entrance preparation began
in earnest. The school organised supplementary classes for the five of us who
intended to sit the Japanese university entrance examinations. There were only
five of us altogether, myself included. Science and arts students studied side
by side in the same classroom.
The girls were Maiko, Yukiko and me. The
other two were boys.
Our Japanese teacher knew the latest trends
in university entrance examinations inside out. He gave each of us detailed
advice tailored to our individual strengths and weaknesses.
"When you're living overseas," he
kept reminding us, "it's all too easy for your reading to fall away, and
with it your command of kanji and the basics of Japanese”
He never tired of reminding us of this."
“You must make time to read for at least an
hour every day. Read newspapers as well. Unless you strengthen your Japanese,
every other subject will become harder too.”
So I read.
Anything I'd brought from home.
Shinichi Hoshi.
Toyoko Yamasaki.
SĹŤseki Natsume.
Osamu Dazai.
I read all sorts of books, but I became so
absorbed in reading that an hour a day was nowhere near enough.
Sometimes I borrowed books from Maiko or
Yukiko.
Sometimes they borrowed mine.
Our little reading craze lasted right
through the end of the first term.
Between novels, I worked through the
assignments from our supplementary classes.
Time slipped away with alarming speed.
What worried me most was not knowing
whether I was anywhere near the standard my chosen university expected.
"It'll be all right," our teacher
would reassure us.
"Don't panic. Save your strength for
the final push."
At night, lying in bed, I could hear the
sea pounding against the shore.
Somewhere beyond that dark stretch of
water, students across Japan were studying for the very same examinations.
I wasn't going to lose to them.
When the end-of-term examinations were
over, the summer holidays began.
In reality, only the first two weeks were a
proper holiday. The second half was taken up with intensive entrance-exam
preparation classes.
It might well be my last summer in Britain.
Maiko flew back to Chile.
It was only a temporary goodbye.
During the holidays, my family travelled to
the Lake District in the north-west of England.
I'd spent so many months shut away between
the school, the dormitory and the village that I'd scarcely seen Britain at
all.
The time with my family, together with the
quiet beauty of the lakes, felt wonderfully restorative.
We took a boat across Lake Windermere,
watching the sunlight dance across the water.
We stopped for afternoon tea in little
villages tucked among the hills.
For a little while, life felt peaceful
again.
My younger brother, Takahiko, seemed
unusually quiet.
There was a Japanese school in London which
children could attend as day students up to junior high.
But Father had insisted on sending him to a
local grammar school instead.
That meant he had effectively stepped
outside the Japanese education system.
One afternoon, almost to himself, he
murmured,
"When we go back to Japan... do you
think they'll make me start the first year of junior high all over again? Like
I've broken some law or something?"
I felt sorry for him, but in a family where
Father made all the decisions, there was little either of us could do.
Trying to cheer him up, I took him shopping
and for long walks, telling him about life at my boarding school.
Takahiko stared at me, dumbfounded.
“So… even a Japanese school isn’t
necessarily a good place, then.”
He paused.
"What do you think'll happen to those
girls?"
What would become of them? I hadn't even
thought about it.
“I suppose they'll manage somehow. There's
only another year or so before we all leave school. Surely they've thought
about what they'll do afterwards.”
“Oh... I see.”
He paused.
"There are a few Japanese kids like
that at my school too."
"What do you mean?"
"They'd already dropped out of school
back in Japan before they came here."
He looked down at the path as we walked.
“Sometimes a bunch of those Japanese lads
hang around outside the school gates, waiting to see him. They're usually
smoking. Bit like the girls in your dorm."
“What?
That actually happens?”
I stopped walking.
"They're only thirteen!"
"Yeah."
He shrugged.
"The other day I went into town to buy
things for a school trip. I saw them all sitting in a café together. There were
loads of them. Most looked a bit older than me."
I fell silent.
“I see... Just don't let yourself get
pulled along with them, okay?” I smiled.
“Just do things your own way. I know that’s
not always easy, though.”
He nodded.
"I will."
"More importantly... how's the Eleven
Plus going?"
He let out a small laugh.
"I'm getting by."
Then his smile faded.
"Even if I work hard for another two
years, all I'll have is the equivalent of finishing primary school."
He walked beside me, his eyes fixed
somewhere ahead.
"I honestly don't know what's going to
happen to me."
As it was difficult for all of us to be
together very often, the whole family drove me back to the Japanese school that
day.
I didn't want to go back. Not now.
On the journey from home to school, I
closed my eyes and tried to put myself in the right frame of mind.
Father spoke first.
"Takahiko has been a great help to his
mother. He's doing a fine job interpreting for her. And then there's you.
You've done nothing to help the family, living away at boarding school all this
time. When you go back to Japan, you'll be staying with your aunt, so make
yourself useful and help around the house. You've done nothing for the past two
years. I doubt you even know how to do ordinary housework properly."
"That wouldn't have happened if you'd
gone to Britain on your own in the first place, would it?"
"What did you say? Say that
again!"
Father twisted around in his seat and
shouted at me. The car swerved dangerously from side to side on the motorway.
"How do you think we've paid for your
school fees? Your holidays? All the trips we've taken? You could at least show
some gratitude to your parents!"
"Dear, keep your eyes on the
road."
"I never thought I'd have such an
ungrateful daughter. Who do you think has paid for all the good things you've
had? I even had to put money aside at the last minute for that school trip to
Rome. If only she'd been able to speak English, we wouldn't have had to waste
all that money..."
“That's all in the past now.”
"That's because she was the one
going on about how I should have come here on my own! Who do you think works
himself to the bone earning the money? And who do you think negotiated with the
company to get them to make an additional contribution to the Japanese school?
Me! When you get into university, don't think you're going to spend your time
enjoying yourself. I absolutely won't allow it."
“Dear, we still have Takahiko to think
about.”
"He's not going to university."
“What? But you don't even know what he
wants to do with his future.”
“I'll put him through a short vocational
course and get him into a job as soon as he's finished.”
I stared out of the window and said
nothing.
When the new term began, our supplementary
classes continued.
The five of us had now switched to a more
focused style of studying, concentrating specifically on the entrance
examinations for our chosen universities.
Every one of us had chosen a different
university.
Three of us hoped to study in Tokyo.
The other two were from Kansai and were
aiming for universities in Kyoto or Osaka.
It was a suffocating term. Study after
study. Once I'd finished my homework and revision, I'd open my university
entrance-exam books and start revising all over again.
I went to bed at around two every night.
If I got up at eight, I had just enough
time to eat breakfast and make it to lessons at eight fifty.
Even when I told myself I ought to take the
weekends off, I simply couldn't relax. My eyes kept drifting back to the
textbooks and practice papers.
When I went down to the beach, the autumn
sea was calm.
For a little while, it soothed me.
Sometimes Maiko and I would visit each
other's rooms and chat, just to let off steam.
Our rooms were tiny—about four-and-a-half
tatami mats' worth of space once you had fitted in a bed, desk and chest of
drawers. There was barely enough room to walk around.
We would turn the radio down low and sit
together, talking about absolutely nothing in particular. I loved those
moments.
Maiko's room was piled high with
mathematics textbooks and exercise books.
She said she studied from them every day.
"I want to go to university and, if I
can, go on to postgraduate study afterwards. I'd like to work in a technical
field. I'd really like my career to involve South America somehow. I want to
use mathematics and work for a company involved in technological
development—something that could help build a bridge between South America and
Japan. So I’ve got to work just as hard to make it happen.”
Maiko was moving straight towards the
future she wanted.
I couldn't afford to fall behind her.
Yukiko sometimes joined us for a chat.
She was planning to sit her university
entrance examinations in Kansai.
“I want to go to university in Kyoto, so
I'll have to commute from my grandmother's house. My parents' posting doesn't
look like it's going to end any time soon, either. So... I dunno when I'll ever
get back to Hiroshima.”
The three of us fell quiet for a while.
We had all ended up here for different
reasons.
The second term was going to decide
everything.
I wanted to reach the standard required by
my chosen universities, so I went over everything I'd studied during the past
three years, again and again.
The other four students in our
supplementary class were working just as hard. I couldn't afford to be the one
who fell behind.
This might be the last time in my life when
I could simply lose myself in studying. With that thought in mind, I worked
through one page after another of my practice books.
The second term ended, and the winter
holidays began.
Christmas and New Year fell during the
holidays, and the local caretaker needed time off as well. The supplementary
classes were suspended.
Then, in January1980, I left Heathrow
Airport with a one-way ticket to Narita that Father had bought for me.
There were only a few weeks left before the
entrance examinations. My aunt, who lived in Chiba, had agreed to take me in
until the exams were over.
The day before I left the boarding school,
I spent the day with Maiko.
As always, we walked along the beach. The
waves rolled in, breaking into white foam.
It might be the last time we ever walked
along this shore together.
Maiko's parents had already returned to
Japan, and her home wasn't far from my aunt's house.
"I'm going to sit the entrance exams
for Zophia University and Kyouo University," she said. "They both
have mathematics departments."
"I'm applying to Akagi University and
Seiheki University. I think either of them would be good for literature."
"Where will you live if you get
in?"
"With my aunt, at least for a while.
What about you?"
"Well... my parents are already back
in Japan, so I'll be living at home. Come and visit if you have time."
"Thank you!"
She was quiet for a moment.
"Honestly, if you hadn't been here, I
think I'd have fallen apart somewhere along the way. You kept me going. I can't
thank you enough."
"Don't be silly! I'm the one who
should be thanking you! I only made it through because you were here."
We caught each other's eye, burst out
laughing, and before either of us realised it, we'd broken into a run over the
low grassy dunes.
We exchanged addresses and promised to
write.
A flock of gulls circled high in the
distant sky.
I didn't want these past eighteen months to
have been for nothing.
I would pass the entrance examinations.
I would.
And this time, I would find a place for
myself that I had earned on my own.
With that firmly in my mind, I walked
through the departure gate and gave my family one last wave.

Comments
Post a Comment