Cherry blossom and telegram


 In 1990, I came back to Japan from the UK, in an attempt to go to a university in Tokyo.


Back in those days, high school diplomas given by scholls in abroad were not really accepted by universities in Japan, Even though you finished A-level or SAT, you still have to go through an entrance examination. Not many universities let students who studied abroad, so we were left with very few choices.

 

I failed my first university examination. I have not used Japanese for a while, and I was not familiar with essay writing in Japanese. It was pressurising to write these Kanji characters in handwriting, hoping that I didn’t make much mistakes – which, probably I did.

 

I took summer course for students who graduated from high schools abroad, to brush up English and Japanese languages, as well as essay writing, Withing two months intense course, I became much more confident using the both languages.

 

I took another entrance examination at a university in Tokyo. I recall there must be over 200 students sitting in a large classroom. It was daunting, not just the number of people I saw there, but their outfits. Roughly 80 per cent of students were wearing their school uniform in Japan. Alas, my high school did not have that.

 

I gathered something at least decent to wear. I only took few T-shirts and jeans from England. And I simply didn’t have time nor money to buy new outfits.

 

Giving up, I turned up at the exam in shirt and black jeans, hoping not many people will notice me. It was so uncomfortable sitting beside boys and girls in smart jackets. I tried not to look at them.

 

The exam seemed to have gone well, and I was called for an interview.

 

On the day of interview, I went with another strange outfit, with my mother’s bright yellow shirt and black jumper and black trousers.

 

Those who are not in the school uniform got together – These people must have lived abroad and went to school there. The school uniforms in the UK or Australia stand out too much in Tokyo.

 

There was this etiquette which my parents taught me to use it at the interview.

First, knock on the door, then open the door, then take a deep bow. Wait until someone call you.

 

I managed to all of them. And I saw a man waving at me to come along. I sat in front of his desk. He asked:

“Which of the exam was harder for you, Japanese or English?”

Recalling that, I said it was Japanese because I still wasn’t sure if my essay was not up to the university’s standard.

 

“Your Japanese was all right” the examiner said. This gave me a great relief.

We chat for a while, talking about what I want to study during the four years, and I explained my plan.

 

The examiner was listening carefully. After that, he suggested to take any empty chair in front of examiners for another interview. We needed to talk to at least 3 examiners.

 

I sat on a chair facing a very old man.

 

He asked “How did you get here? by subway?”

 

At that time, I understood the word subway was where people walk. I was confused with what the interviewer said.

 

How can I walk from my home to university, which should take more than 6 hours on foot?

I asked him if he means the underground. Apparently, he had no idea what the underground means.

 

During our conversation, we came across with how the underground was called in Tokyo – which is Tokyo Metro. We ended up by saying, “When in Rome, do what Romans do”.

 

Almost at the end our conversation, he said “We’ll see you in April”.

I thought it was too early to say that. The exam result is not out yet.

 

In return, I asked him if cherry blossom has bloomed.

 

It is related to an very old custom in Japan, which students receive telegram after they went through university examinations.

 

If they receive a telegram saying “Cherry blossom has bloomed”, it means that the university wants you.

 

If the telegram says “Cherry blossom fell”, it means the student failed the exam.

 

The interviewer remembered this, and asked me if the cherry blossom will bloom, and I said I will keep my eyes on weather forecast.

 

We shook hands, and ended the interview with him. I went to see another interviewer for another session.

 

It was more than thirty years ago. But somehow, I still recall this little chat with the interviewer.

I had real fun talking. Those found memory sometimes come back, although not that often, it still makes me smile.

 

Entrance examination for those students lived abroad and came back to Japan for further education must be taking examination right now. I wish them luck, and hope cherry blossom will bloom for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A kiss for a soldier

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers