A kiss for a soldier

 




It was about 30 years ago. I was waiting for my plane at the Heathrow airport.

 

I was on the way back to Japan after studying at a university in UK for a year. The final exam date was not out until last minutes, and it was difficult to fix the day I leave the country.

 

I booked the seat only 3 days before the flight. As soon as the exams are over, I sent out my text books and belongings from my college room, said goodbye to my friends, and headed for London.

 

It was slightly late in the afternoon when I arrived at Euston station. I went straight to a youth hostel in city centre, whic had a good access to Piccadilly line which has direct connection to the Heathrow airport.

 

I slept soundly, and got up early to catch the underground bound for the airport.

 

After check in, I sat at one of bench in airport lobby, waiting for boarding announcement.

 

Then, there came a group of soldiers. They were walking in a line, wearing khaki army outfit.


When they got closer, the man on the front suddenly bent over to me and said

 “a kiss for a soldier going for a battle?”

 

I thought it as a joke, but his slightly serious tone of voice made me puzzled.

 

Then, suddenly, two elderly women sitting in front me almost jumped up and said “Go girl, kiss the soldier. It is a good luck to be kissed by a dark-haired girl”

 

The voices of two ladies were pretty serious, that I couldn’t find way to avoid kissing the soldier.

 

I gave him a peck on his cheek.

 

Then another strange thing happened.

 

He said, almost whispering, “Will you come and see me when the duty is over”

 

I asked “How long would you be going”

 

“Three years” he replied.

 

I imagined that he was going for a very heavy duty, and possibly he had no family.

 

I said “I will try”

 

The soldier looked at me for a while, then walked on.

 

This was quite weird experience I have ever had. I still recall that the day was 5th of May,

 

Time went on, I boarded on my flight via Paris, then landed on airport near Tokyo.

 

Three years passed quickly. In two years, I injured my legs so badly, and barely able to walk by myself. I could only walk few steps using my clutches. I had to leave my job, and searched for hospital to hospital which can cure me or save me out of the tremendous pain. With this state, there was no way I could go to Heathrow.

 

On 5th May, I somehow remembered the soldier who I met at the airport.

Promise was broken and I could not possibly go to the airport to meet him.

 

To this date, I wonder what happend to me. I have no idea if it is a military joke or military custom. But the soldier’s thick sunglasses and tall figure was still clear in my mind. Everytime I see Ukrainian soldiers fighting on television, this memory comes up in my head.

 

I hope he was able to came back from his duty, and arrive at Heathrow safe and sound, without heavy injury.

 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers