Writing a fiction : A Moment in Japanese Medieval History of Street Entertainment

 When I was young, I came across with a picture of two entertainers in Medieval Japan, called Kusemai dancer, and Shrabyoshi.

 

They were one of the prominent street performers in Medieval Japan, and they were mentioned in a book called “Seventy One Songs on Craftsmen", illustrating various craftsmen which was established at the end of 1500’s

 

Here is the link to the original painting of Kusemai dancer and Shirbyoshi.

(On the bottle left)

狂言・能楽の歴史|文化デジタルライブラリー (jac.go.jp)

 


(Kusemai dancer on the left, Shirabyoshi on the right )

 

能・世阿弥|文化デジタルライブラリー (jac.go.jp)



So, what are Kusemai dancer and Shirabyoshi ?

Kusemai, also known as Mai-Mai (Roughly translated as "dance, dance") is a male street dancer, usually paired up with a singer, and dance while holding a folding fan.

Shirabyoshi is a female dancer dressed in men’s clothe and sing song while dancing.

Kusemai | the-Noh.com | Noh Terminology

Shirabyōshi - Wikipedia

 

In a book of “Seventy One Songs on Craftsmen”, they are written as competitors. It is interesting to see the figure of these entertainers, which unfortunately most of their dance routines are not passed on to present as they were (Except Shirabyoshi, as some shrines keeps very old dance routine and perform probably once a year at a shrine festival) .

Some of their dances were integrated into Noh dance and Kabuki. However, it seems hard to tell which movement came from Kusemai dancers or Shirabyoshis.

 

As I looked the picture, I came up with an idea – what if, these people were actually married to each other? This idea was lurking in my mind quite a while.

 

During Covid-19 restrictions, I had several jobs which allowed working from home. As I had more time for myself, I cam up an idea to write a fiction on these Medieval dancers, as well as court noblemen and noble women in that period.

 

As I wrote the book, my father told me if that will lead to any income as I was writing for two and half week without stopping.

 

When I finish it, I put it to Kindle Direct Publishing under a pen name, and printed a book.

Also, as a token that I lived through Corona pandemic, I published an e-book on Amazon. As I have no idea how to promote the book, it will be there for God knows for how long.

Perhaps I will leave it until the world announce the end of Covid-19 pandemic.

 

 Link to my book "Confession"







Link to the 3rd book "Strolling players"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers

A Blast from the Past : Girls' Day at an International School

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink