Germany : Schnapps; A Fragrant Delight

 During a business trip to Germany one autumn, my journey led me to the quaint town of Trier, situated to the west of the country, after arriving at the airport.

Trier, with its ancient history rooted in the Roman Empire, boasts UNESCO-listed treasures like the Porta Nigra (Black Gate) and the ruins of the Roman Forum. The town exudes the medieval charm of Germany, featuring a central square with cobblestones and vibrant buildings encircling a well-like structure.

Choosing a newly opened hotel near the central square as my accommodation, I experienced an unexpected delight during dinner at the hotel's restaurant. As a gesture of hospitality for visitors from Japan, the hotel staff offered us a German after-dinner spirit known as Schnapps. Housed in a pale bottle, this transparent elixir carried the name Schnapps. The staff explained, "It's a potent drink, so enjoy it in small glasses. We have various flavors, including fruit-infused Schnapps. What would you prefer?" Three bottles were neatly presented, accompanied by charming little glasses.




While my companions opted for the straight version, I decided to try the Apricot Schnapps. The colorless liquid, as I brought the glass near, emitted a fleeting aroma of the fruit. Taking a sip, I was surprised by the natural fruity fragrance and a subtle sweetness, far more pleasant than expected. A gentle apricot scent lingered as a slight tingling sensation graced my palate.

Acknowledging its strength, the Schnapps created a warm atmosphere, making our first night in Trier convivial. One of my companions likened it to fruit brandy, drawing a comparison to Japanese shochu.

The following morning, eager to bring back a taste of the delightful Schnapps, I strolled to the central square. Along the way back to the hotel, a small shop caught my eye on the left. In its window display were unmistakably the same Schnapps bottles I had enjoyed the night before – elegant white glass containers adorned with vibrant labels.

Unfortunately, the shop was still closed due to the early hour, forcing me to reluctantly abandon my souvenir quest. Yet, a quick internet search revealed that Schnapps could be ordered online, with French varieties dominating the market.

In Northern European countries like Germany, Schnapps, along with Aquavit from the Nordic region, Russian Vodka, and Scotch Whisky, tends to be high in alcohol content, often believed to provide a warming effect. While many of these spirits are colorless and nearly odorless, Schnapps stands out with its infusion of fruit and herbal essences, making it an ideal choice for those who appreciate fruity and sweet liqueurs.

As we await the end of the pandemic, I find myself yearning to relish that rural town's beverage once more, recreating the mood of that memorable night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A kiss for a soldier

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers