Job hunt and keeping up with reading habit

 




September 2020 was busy period. As I agreed on early retirement, I started look for a job on the internet every day. At the same time, I updated my resume and CV.

Due to reduced working days and paid leave, I only went to office half a day each week.
While at office, I shared information with my colleagues on what we would be doing next.

We were all forty something, or we should call it around fifty in Japanese way.
Many of them have been working at the company over 20 years, and we did brain storming for their career, what they did during their term in the past 20 years.

I started using a job agent from mid-September. The company recommended the job agency, and one job consultant took me under his wings. He was very modest, experienced person, agreeable and helpful.

Adding to the job agent, I also registered several other job agency. It has been several years since last time I changed job, and I was amazed how the job application process has been changed over the years.

Last time when I changed job, I applied one job vacancy through a job agent. After application, I was asked to come over to the job agency’s office for counselling and actual registration involving hanko.

In 2020, due to Corona situation, everything was done on the internet. All you need to do is upload your resume and career history on job agency’s website, and wait for telephone call or start applying to vacancies.

While I looked through job vacancies, I was quite daunted how the job detail is different from company to company. Different techniques were used depending on industries. For example, you might need higher skills using Excel or Access, or other computer softs which I have never heard of. While I scroll the computer screen, I became frozen. What have I been doing in the past few years without experiencing those techniques, while your counterparts in other industries were enjoying the chances to learn and use more complexed techniques and job roles?

After spending days in front of computer, I continued reading books.
Online book clubs helped me to motivate more readings.

I chose real books instead of Kindle. I wanted to get away from screens, and enjoy the texture of paper.

I came across with short stories in the September 2020, which was a happy coincident. With too much distractions in my mind, I could not possibly tackle with heavy volume

画像1


I managed to read “Gifts of Magi” and “Witches’ loaves.
Both short stories are famous, and were touching and inspiring.

画像2


This is a mystery book, collection of short, light but gripping stories which takes place in a French bistro. Interesting characters, with heart-warming endings. Nice and mouth-watering menus on each chapter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A kiss for a soldier

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers