Keeping up with language skills during COVID days

 



One of the most difficult thing during the self-isolation period was to keep up with language. I read newspaper every day, chat with my family, read articles on the internet, listened to radio. These were just not enough. I needed somewhere to communicate more with other people – particularly with my colleagues, partners, and clients. I missed the communication with them. Contacting my old friends was a daunting task, even just for a chat, knowing that they were busy working or taking care of kids at home.

To put aside the worry, I took myself for reading novels. There are conversations in most of the novels, and that was what I was looking for. I heard few years ago that some of the doctors recommend hospitalized patients to read novels to keep up with language – especially conversations. Novels do have many conversations, just like in reality. 

Once I finished my daily routine, I took some time to read novels from my TBR pile. Novels on business settings would have been more appropriate, but I gave up this choice. There are millions of books out there, but none of them seemed to have been set on travel industry.

Here are some of the books that I read during May 2020.​

This novel is based on historical fact about the riot of silk weavers in London, which took place in mid-18th century called Spitalfield riots. This novel was also inspired by a silk designer called Anna Maria Garthwaite, who lived from 1728 to 1763. She produced many patterns for damasks and brocades, many of which are today in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The book was not serious, had a light touch of romance with historical background. I enjoyed it very much.


This was written by Roald Dahl. The book was written before he wrote children’s stories such as “Charley and chocolate factory” or “Matilda”.
This is a collection of short stories, all in macabre settings. It was not a best choice during Covid days, but the stories were brilliant, gripping with unexpected ending.



This is perhaps one of the best stories that I enjoyed during the self-isolation. A detective story which travels from Paris to London, ending in Scotland.
Knowing the fact that no one can travel, this novel helped me to imagine myself traveling with the protagonists, while deciphering the mystery given by one of the character.


One important thing during the quarantine was to keep laughing or smiling. This book did help me to keep laughing.
This is the third sequel to “Crazy Ritch Asians” which became a film few years ago, and is the final of the trilogy.
Very gorgeous, hilarious, and heart-warming in the end.  Quite satisfied that my own life have nothing to do with billionaires. As the title suggests, the problems were deep and utterly beyond imagination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A kiss for a soldier

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers