A family history ( 1 ) Life at the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome

 My maternal grandmother was from Hiroshima prefecture, Japan. Most of her family lived in Horshima, but I have not heard much about them until I was 17 years old. This is some of the family history I heard, when I visited my grandparents back in 1989.

My grandmother’s father was working at the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall – better known as “Atomic Bomb Dome”.  As the name of the building describes, the hall exhibited many industrial products in Hiroshima – I heard that the dome had a beautiful spiral staircase leading up to upstairs. My great-grandfather’s office was in the building.

My great-grandfather was known affectionately by the family as “the man who forgets”. He always forget something. It caused many mayhems, but everybody knew his personality.

So on 6th August 1945, when Enola Gay was heading to Hiroshima carrying the little boy, my grandfather arrived at his office. As usual, he noticed he forgot something at home. He jumped back on a tram and headed home. By the time he got home in the outskirt of Hiroshima, the little boy ripped the whole town. My grand-parents were safe.

Their sons, my grandmother’s brothers were affected by the bomb. They were in the centre of Hiroshima back then. One of them suffered life-long severe depression, one of the effect by the A-bomb.  My grandmother was already married and lived near the Mount Fuji, chasing my uncle and carrying my mother who was newly –born baby. She was also safe.

I visited Hiroshima in 1989 with my parents. They took me to the A-bomb dome and the museum. I learned about the history. Some of the old photograph showed the original building before it was destroyed. It was indeed a beautiful building.

 


Courtesy by Wikipedia

The building was designed by a Czech architect called Jan Letzel. The architect came to Japan at when he was young, and said to have worked mostly in Japan.

 


Courtesy by Wikipedia

 

 It is a bit of shame that we can’t see his original creation anymore. The dome is wrecked now. Personally I prefer to memorize the original building, where my great-grand father worked.

Coincidentally, one of my friend from Hiroshima had a grandmother who taught tea ceremony and flower arrangement at the A-bomb dome. We chatted about it, and wondered if our grandparents knew each other.

After visiting my grandparents in Sizuoka, my parents took me to visit our relatives in Hiroshima. My parents had great catch ups. It was first time for me to meet these distant relatives, and it was quite fun to hear their stories. Somehow, they spoke about the war-time experience, which I have never heard before.

Some of them mentioned that they can now talk about the war-time experience, since the Emperor Showa passed away earlier on that year. Elders kept their war-time memories to themselves, because they knew everybody just did their jobs including the Emperor Hirohito. They just didn’t feel like talking about it in front of younger generation, while the Emperor Hirohito was alive – they just could not talk about war-time experience as if to talk behind the Emperor’s back.

I hope we will never repeat this war-time experience on this earth, let alone the use  of A-bomb anywhere in this world. Not only it kills people, it gives life-long suffering effects, which leaves people literally dead even though they are technically alive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A kiss for a soldier

England : The Taste of Forbidden Drink

Spain : Sangria - quenching the thirst of travelers